A diminutive single-track stone arch catches the last glow of a January sun over Caldwell Road in Northfield, MA. It carries the reborn Connecticut River Line (now state-owned) connector from Greenfield north to East Northfield station (oddly enough, in West Northfield) at the Vermont-Massachusetts border. Built in 1849, it connected the historic CRL (most recently Guilford/Pan Am) with the Vermont and Massachusetts Railroad (now G&W – NECR) which headed further up the river from South Vernon to Brattleboro, VT.
The New England Central Railroad’s Warren deck truss springs from the grasp of bittersweet and fox grape on the west bank of the Connecticut River in Northfield, Ma. The current 705-foot span was built in 1904 and partially rebuilt in 1936 by the then Central Vermont Railway, and replaced an original timber bridge constructed in 1850 by the original line, the Vermont and Massachusetts Railroad.