A diminutive single-track stone arch catches the last glow of a January sun over Caldwell Road in Northfield, MA. It carries the reborn Connecticut River Line (now state-owned) connector from Greenfield north to East Northfield station (oddly enough, in West Northfield) at the Vermont-Massachusetts border. Built in 1849, it connected the historic CRL (most recently Guilford/Pan Am) with the Vermont and Massachusetts Railroad (now G&W – NECR) which headed further up the river from South Vernon to Brattleboro, VT.
The New England Central Railroad’s Warren deck truss springs from the grasp of bittersweet and fox grape on the west bank of the Connecticut River in Northfield, Ma. The current 705-foot span was built in 1904 and partially rebuilt in 1936 by the then Central Vermont Railway, and replaced an original timber bridge constructed in 1850 by the original line, the Vermont and Massachusetts Railroad.
Part of the Connecticut River Line, the New England Central spans the mouth of the West River in Brattleboro, VT as it heads northward to White River Junction. Neighboring New Hampshire accompanies its progress on the eastern side of the broad divide. The bridge is a Warren through truss with verticals, built in 1930 by the Phoenix Bridge Company and is the most recent version of several at this location. The first railroad to utilize this waterline right-of-way was the Vermont Valley in 1850.
The stone arch over the flat water of Sackett’s Brook carries the Connecticut River Line over a desolate marsh, isolated from the village of Putney by time and change. Built around 1850 for the Vermont Valley Railroad, later the Boston and Maine and now the New England Central, this quiet span lies north of Kathan’s Ferry and the former depot.